Monday, August 3, 2009

Funny People (Brodie)

First, I'm going to point out, in case the comedian-battles-with-a-terminal-disease trailers didn't tip you off, it's not all that funny.

For everything else it tried to be, I give a definitive "eh" and shrug, (but even that's a gift that I'm giving probably only because I have a little crush on Seth Rogen).

How many times are we going to be force fed the "money bad; friends and family good" message from Adam Sandler? Who is he trying to convince? In this version, all of his character's growth (which I'm assuming the movie was supposed to be about) was saved for the last 60 seconds of the movie (the movie was 2 hrs 35 mins long), so I can't say that this one was much more profound than Click, and I can be almost sure that it was supposed to be. At least, I certainly thought so going into it.

He did, however, earn some points by seeming to show a sense of humor about the types of goofball, funny voice/funny face rolls that have been a staple of his comic career.

As far as being a showcase for many of Hollywood's funny peple, there are some enjoyable stand-up comedy scenes and great cameos--my favorites being from Paul Reiser (I was just happy to see him again), Sarah Silverman (as inappropriate as ever), Ray Romano and Eminem, whose assholeishness and sledgehammer-like subtlty was quite refreshing when turned on vapid actor Sandler.

To sum up, not much happens, it's not all that funny (despite the sprinkling of great comedians) and did I mention that it's 2 hrs and 35 mins long? This is the second review where I've had a problem with the length of a movie. Robots fighting is really only that entertaining for an hour and a half, maximum; and likewise with funny people who aren't being all that funny--or anything but present, for that matter. Where have all the good editors gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment