Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lady in the Water (AKA- the apology letter written to M. Night Shyamalan)

Saw this movie for the second time today.

I'm pretty hung over, some what sensitive and emotional today I think I'm having a hormonal imbalance- or maybe just this movie speaks to me.

Cute(I know a word like this brings my being into question but it's the best adjective)- my definintion for this movie. It's just an adorable little film. (I know it's big but in reality it's a little film based on how little was spent making it and the low budget tricks they implemented or seem like artistic choices which Night's mentor was great at-see Hitchcock)

I love this movie. When I first saw the movie I wanted to write a giant apology letter to Shyamalan. Have really enjoyed his movies- Sixth Sense, Unbreakable (at the time I thought it might have been one of the best superhero movies ever), Signs (redunkulous- loved it).

Of course then came the backlash, if you went into Signs thinking giant alien invasion flick ala Independence day you were mistaken and abashedly felt robbed.

The Village came next, I still enjoyed the filmmaking but it was clearly the lesser of his films overall. I still fell for the story though and that is another story.

After Village, many people heavily criticized Night. For many these two in a row were very bad news.

Lady in the Water was next. I doubted his work. I read the reviews calling for him to stop writing and directing and please for god sack stop putting yourself in the movies. The backlash was incredible and I actually decided I would wait to see the movie. (his movies had become events for me).

Boy was I wrong.

Bed-time Stories, Fables and tales by the fire are the origins of our entertainment. (Night supposedly read this story to his children)

Movie gives me hope that there is a purpose for everyone and that even the smallest action undertaken alone could enact significant change in others-a ripple effect into the future. It comes together well with a message of people of all backgrounds coming together despite doubts and disbelief in each other and themselves and accepts the roles they play in trying to save "Story". Funny how the movie is entirely about saving "story" and getting the "story" home-what was on his mind that night?

Many little moments and layers bring this film an awkward human silliness that is just gentle and real to me. Giamatta is great, Jeffery Wright is great, the critic was great, the actor playing Shyamalan's sister was great.

Love the whole devise of the movie critic used in the film, and that he is the only person to be attacked and ripped apart by the scrunt. He was mocking himself in the film, mocking the film within the film and then taking a stab back at movie critics.

Both times I have seen this movie, I have felt something (maybe the score helped), something tangible the movie does it for me. Can Identify with any number of the characters who live in the complex. Love the role of Cleveland Heap as a Healer who only Heals himself by healing others and that idea of the exchange between a doctor(healer or anyone who works with patients) and a patient as a two way street.

So I'm sorry I initially listened to the critics on this one Shyamalan, of course then again I did see "The Happening" based on the tremendous previews. What was in the previews and basically the first 15-20 minutes of the film were great and then, WTF just happened? Awful Awful Awful. The movie was renamed "What Happened" in reference to what happened while you were writing this. So the your next film "The Last Airbender" I'm gonna see it opening night but I really am praying for more Signs/Lady/sixth/unbreakable and not "The La(o)st Filmmaker"

No comments:

Post a Comment