Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hurt Locker (Brodie)

Compelling, revealing, important...
(The story of a US Army bomb squad in Iraq, focusing on three soldiers.)
I'm hesitant to say that it was a realistic portrayal of war because what do I know? But being that it was void of messages about patriotism or the why-are-we-in-Iraq-at-all discussions, I'm more apt to trust it. It wasn't about THIS war, it was just about war and the people who live through (or die in) them. It showed the everyday lives of the soldiers. It was about each moment, each mission, and the guy next to you, and from what I've heard from those who have been, that's what war is about.
Some parts seemed overdone to increase suspense, which brought in a little Hollywoodiness I could have done without, but those were exceptions and didn't detract much from the overall portrait (at least not for someone who's never served).
I was also impressed how--with a degree of subtlety--it showed why, despite the torment of war, some soldiers do want to go back.
Because the movie didn't preach or force a message down my throat, it felt honest.
Really well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment