Friday, August 7, 2009

Food Inc. (Brodie)

This movie was pretty good. And I highly recommend it. It was educational to learn about the unique and deadly E. Coli strain created by the "Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations" or CAFOs (no real need to call them "farms" anymore), to learn of Monsanto's monopoly on soy, of the national and international effects of subsidized corn, and more. I agree that we should know what we're putting into our bodies. The level of disconnect that we now have with our food is scary. The movie had enough sentiment to remind us that there are people getting very sick and even dying from this system, but emotions and sarcasm didn't dominate the movie like a Michael Moore film might do.

I did have some problems with it. It touted Stonyfield as a potential hero; however, I question how great big organic farms are. Their "natural" pesticides can be very toxic, their transportation and storage can be very energy intensive... My point: organic may not be the answer, and may not be enough.

But what is? I want to know more about what we can do. What will the consequences be for the world if we stop subsidizing corn? How can we afford to eat if the market does properly reflect what goes into our food? How can we vote with our dollars if Monsanto owns 90% of soy beans and soy is in everything? Does organic mean GMO free? I have so many more questions I want answered, and as they continued to remind us--there's a veil over the whole industry, so how do we learn more?

To be cheesy, I'll say this: "Food, Inc." left me hungry, and I'm ready for seconds. I guess, that was the point. I recommend that everyone see it. As I said originally, we should know what we're eating. To quote another movie that I'm not likely to see, "and knowing is half the battle."

2 comments:

  1. So did it give any insight to what needs to be done? Or the consequences of the current food production system? Perhaps a starting point on what individuals can do? Decreasing demand of conveniently highly accessible food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gave a good deal of insight into the problems and the changes that have occurred to our food and thusly our bodies. It offers a few solutions at the end that each individual can do. The movie's point wasn't so much to promote radical changes as much as it was to educate people and reveal the secrecy in our food industry. For that, it did quite well. However, me being me, I want solutions.

    ReplyDelete