Monday, April 26, 2010

Kick-Ass (Brodie)

First, I've gotta say that I thought this was a superhero movie meant for teens, so I was kind of horrified by the amount of violence, even moreso after I realized that it WAS a movie meant for teens--three of the four main characters were all under 18.  (I'll leave my Brodie Buzzkill diatribe about our society's ills for another blog.)

It was entertaining; definitely had me laughing.  In truth, none of the characters were all that likable, but that's not why we go see superhero movies.  The action was good--more of that over the top load-gun-clips-in-midair nonsense we've come to expect.  There was definitely one character who was unlike our action flick cliches, and I do appreciate certain elements of that.  However, that same character, the most bad ass of them all, whose life was constructed around revenge, was denied the formulaic climactic kill of the bad guy.  If you're gonna be a violent, vigilante movie, at least do it right.

So in summary, if you're prepped for violence and nothing too clever, you'll enjoy this movie.

1 comment: